Searching for something different in the Midwest? Go no farther than greater Wausau, Wisconsin’s Outdoor Basecamp, situated in the state’s central region. There are always activities to suit all interests; whether you’re an outdoor explorer, history buff, music lover, art enthusiast, or foodie, there’s bound to be something that catches your eye.
On one hand, you can observe the world of nature rather closely by biking the Mountain Bay Trail or canoeing on the Wisconsin River. For adventure seekers, there is a world-class kayaking course, the Granite Peak to ski, and many mountain bike paths at Nine Mile or Sylvan Hills.
The climate of Wausau, Wisconsin is cold and snowy in winter like other northern United States. Here’s what you can typically anticipate in Midwest winter forecast:
- Cold Temperatures: Winters in Wausau are cold. December, January, and February have average daytime temperatures in the single digits to low 20s Fahrenheit. This area experiences freezing temperatures in the night.
- Snowfall: During winter Wausau usually has a large snowfall. On average, the city experiences about 60 inches of snow throughout the season. Difficulties of living in a climate with snow include erratic winter snowfall and streets that are always covered by melting or fallen snow.
- Icy Conditions: Snow aside, icy conditions are common in Wausau, especially during temperatures that come close to freezing. As a result, roads and sidewalks become slippery thereby posing risk during driving and even walking.
- Winter Storms: In Wausau, winter storms can produce hazardous conditions with heavy snowfall, ice, and heavy winds. Such storms can interfere with normal routines, make schools close, and disrupt transport.
- Shorter Daylight Hours: Wausau further receives shorter hours of daylight during the winter with sunset falling in the early evening as is for other northern towns.
- Wind Chill: Winter conditions are intensified by the wind chill factors. It is important to wear warm clothing and prevent frostbite and hypothermia.
- Winter Activities: In Wausau, winter weather is ideal for different winter sports. The region is popular for skiing, snowboarding, ice skating, and snowmobiling.
- Variable Weather: Weather can be fickle in winter featuring a chill, blizzards, and occasional mild periods. Checking weather conditions and advisories are important.
Wausau residents and visitors should consider dressing warmly, driving slowly on snow- or ice-covered streets, and staying safe by avoiding over-exposure to the cold. During winter months it is best to possess an emergency kit, and always know about weather conditions and the state of roads.
If you are searching for a snow removal company, please click on Earth Development Wausau WI.